Thursday 21 November 2013

Onomatopoeia

What are onomatopoeic words? They are words which describe a noise. An internet definition put it this way: "onomatopoeia is when a word's pronunciation imitates the sound it is describing". Have you ever thought how many words there are which describe the noise of water moving in some way or other?

Last weekend with Monday included, it rained almost non - stop. Here, where we live, this is a real rarity and we enjoyed these three days so much. Rain is so soothing, so relaxing. I love to lie in bed at night and listen to it. One evening the children dressed up in their waterproofs and went out for a walk! It was just teeming down!

With last weekend and this home-schooling family's latest project also in mind, I thought I would put together some onomatopoeic words which have something to do with water. Here is my list, with a few photos included of the images which come to mind when I think or say these words:


bloop, bubble, burble,
dribble, drip, drizzle, drop,
gargle, glug, gurgle,
lap, murmur,
pling, plip - plop, pitter - patter,
ripple, rush,
slosh, slurp, splash, splat, splatter, splish,
splosh, spray, squelch, squirt, swish,
tinkle, trickle, whoosh.

Oooh, I've had such fun composing this post! I like water. There's something about it that I find very... uuuhhmm,well... wet  ; )

(All photos are taken from Google images)

2 comments:

Kirsty said...

Aww, I feel blessed that you have taken the time to write a post for us. Thank you x

A.J. said...

Always fun to have to take out my small notebook in the middle of Aldi to write down one of these words because you've just thought about it and don't want to forget it! :P Only you, Mum &heart;